Old Trafford's electrical fireA fire that broke out at Manchester United FC’s Old Trafford stadium, the largest football stadium in the UK, on 30th January has been attributed to an electrical fault.
Old Trafford is the largest ground in UK football, with a seating capacity of 75,643. The fire at the stadium was reported by the Manchester Evening News to have been caused by a faulty lift motor. Lift motor fires are generally a result of overheating.

Smoke was seen coming from the Sir Bobby Charlton stand, the ground’s South Stand, by witnesses and the alarm system alerted the local fire brigade.

Three crews from Salford and Stretford were called to the fire. Upon arrival the fire crew found a fire involving electrical equipment in a lift motor room. The electrics were isolated then extinguished. Thankfully, there was minimal damage and no injuries.

What could have prevented this electrical fire?

The right action was in place following this electrical fire: an up to date and functioning alarm system notified local fire brigades quickly and it was because of this that the fire was stopped not long after it began. But how could the problem have been prevented?

Manufacturer’s instructions should always be followed when using any electrical appliances or equipment. Instructions on major appliances, such as a lift motor should say how often they should be replaced or inspected by a qualified electrician.

Electric motors, such as this lift motor, that are not maintained are a great risk of electrical fires. They should be lubricated precisely to the correct specifications because too little, as well as excess lubrication, is dangerous. Motors should also be cleaned regularly to prevent dirt building up and blocking airways which allows heat to build up.

Electrical fires can be caused by problems in wiring or failure in a range of electrical appliances. If you have any concerns about the quality of the electrical wiring in your home, business or venue, Eaton Electrical can arrange an inspection to ensure that your wiring is safe and up to date. Call us today on 01509 414 222 or email [email protected].